Unit 5 Key Assessment: Art and Social Justice
Estimated time to complete: 8 Hours
The Stonewall riots in 1969 and other issues in our country contributed to the formation of an LGBTQ community that is diverse in its individual interests and expression but unified in its desire to strive for civil rights and equality in the United States. We also explored in this unit how art is used as a tool to achieve social justice and the importance of this to society as a whole. For this assignment you will be writing an essay that identifies and shares the profiles of various social justice artists.
Research and find two to three artists that create art for the purpose of promoting and/or representing social justice in some way. You will use your research about the artist, their work, and their perspectives to present a profile of them in your essay.
For each artist include:
- The artist name, highlights of their artistic statements, at least one image of their work if possible, a short quote or two, and their views on how art can make an impact for social justice causes.
- Why does the artist feel it is important to create art for social justice causes?
- What steps have they taken to use art to make a difference for others who may find themselves in socially unjust circumstances?
- How have others reacted to or responded to the work the artists have created for social justice purposes?
- What is your personal reaction to their work? Do you feel their work is important? That there work can make a difference? Why or why not?
- You can also include other personal perspective in response to the artists’ work and viewpoints on art and social justice.
This essay should be a minimum of 500 words, or 250 words for each artist that you profile.
Make sure to cite any resources/references in APA formatting.