There are many contemporary issues in corrections that are topics of ongoing debates in fields of penology, criminology, and corrections administration. Some of the cases regarding these issues have made it to the Supreme Court, whereas others have not. In this assignment, the members of your group will research the following issues in corrections today and provide information on the viewpoints from the different sides of the debate. The issues are as follows: Organ transplants Four-point restraints Sweat lodges Three-way calls Legal materials in the library
Individual Portion: Using the Small Group Discussion Area, decide which of the issues above will be assigned to each group member. For your assigned contemporary corrections issue, answer the following questions:
· What court cases involved this issue?
· What were the decisions of the lower courts?
· Did any of the cases make it to the Supreme Court?
· If so, what was the Supreme Court decision?
· If not, is the case still active? Explain.
· What is the general opinion that society seems to have with regard to this issue?
· Have any organizations opposed to the court decisions made progress with regard to prisoners’ rights?
· How do you foresee the outcome of the debate regarding the issue? Reference all sources using APA style, and submit your file for review by the rest of your group members.
Please add your file.
Group Portion As a group, use the Small Group Discussion Area to discuss the responsibilities of prison officials with regard to the issues assigned to the individual group members. Address each issue by answering the following:
· What steps can corrections officials take to resolve the issue?
· What are the responsibilities of corrections officials?
· If there is no clear resolution, what precautions can corrections officials take to avoid violating prisoners’ constitutional rights? Reference all sources using APA style. Decide how the individual portion slides for each member will be compiled, as well as the information from the group portion, into 4–5 group slides. Decide who will create the title slide and the comprehensive reference slide. Compile all of the slides into the final group PowerPoint presentation.
Group File The final group presentation should contain the following elements:
· 7–10 PowerPoint slides with 100–150 words of speaker notes per slide from each individual group member
· 4–5 group PowerPoint slides from the Group Portion of the project
· A title slide that contains “CRJS435 Unit 5 Group Project” and each of the contributors’ names
· A reference slide that contains all of the references used from each of the group members
· Title and reference slides do not count as part of the assignment slide totals.