It is easy for us to believe that, in our seemingly progressive society, racism and discrimination are lost issues. However, there is one practice that constantly reminds us that racism and discrimination are alive and well?racial profiling.
Use the following sites/links to explore some current examples of racial profiling:
- Watch this experiment: WATCH: Racism takes center stage as actors?one white, one black?pretend to steal a bike (Links to an external site.) If the link does not work, you can also view the video here: ABC’s What Would You Do (Bike Thief) (Links to an external site.)
- Ethnic Profiling: The Horrifying Effects of NYPD Ethnic Profiling on Innocent Muslim Americans (Links to an external site.)
- Review The Reality of Racial profiling part 3 of this report: Restoring a National Consensus: The Need to End Racial Profiling in America (Links to an external site.)
- Read about racial discrimination in a Michigan hospital (Links to an external site.).
- Read about or view the video about and Iraqi-American family detained when trying to deposit a check (Links to an external site.).
Now that you have viewed a few examples:
- Find a current example of racism or racial profiling from the past three years.
- Post a link to the related article or video.
- Briefly describe the situation and your reaction.
- Do you think that racial profiling and/or racism is exaggerated? Why or why not?
- Explain what theory of race and ethnicity you think best applies to your example.