PAPER ASSIGNMENT #1: HUMAN SEXUALITY IN THE MEDIA DUE: February 19, 2020
According to your textbook, mass media in the United States are using more explicitly and subtly sexual images in advertisements to sell products. Unfortunately, advertisements often reproduce and reinforce sexual biases and stereotypes. They have the power to shape and reflect culture. For this project, you are going to analysis print advertisements concerning how they represent race, gender, and sexuality. Follow the instructions listed below:
1. You will need to find one advertisement representing each of the categories listed below. Print the ad on a white piece of paper (from the computer). If you are using a paper magazine, cut the entire ad from the magazine and glue it on a white piece of paper. On the back of the white paper, label the ad indicating which of the categories it represents.
2. After collecting all of your ads, critically analyze your ads and write a 4-5 page paper that contains at least 1000 word. You will want to analyze the ads in terms of what the images reflect concerning race, gender, and sexuality. I have provided you with some questions to think about during your analysis. Once you have analyzed the ads, integrate it into a well organized paper. Do NOT merely answer the questions in your paper. This is a synthesis of what you are seeing in the print ads.
3. If you have any questions, please contact me and I will help you.
4. It is an AD only if it is selling a product.
Find Print Advertisements that depict the following images:
1. Sexually exploitative image of female
2. Sexually exploitative image of male
3. Sexualization of children/teenagers
4. Sexuality of a male person of color
5. Sexuality of a female person of color
6. Sexuality of an elderly male (over 60 years old)
7. Sexuality of elderly female (over 60 years old)
8. Sexuality of lesbians, gays, or bisexuals
9. Sexual violence (rape culture)
10. Gender stereotyping of a female
11. Gender stereotyping of a male
12. Sexual stereotype of a female
13. Sexual stereotype of a male
14. Sexual objectification of a female
15. Sexual objectification of a male
Reflective Questions-To write this paper think about the following:
1. What point of view do these ads seem to have toward age and sexuality? How is this point of view conveyed?
2. What message do these images send to young girls about sex?
3. What messages do these images send to young boys about sex?
4. How do the Ads define femininity and masculinity?
5. How do the Ads define womens sexuality?
6. How do the Ads define mens sexuality?
7. What are some differences between ads that feature white people and ads that feature people of color?
8. How are the Ads contributing to the relationship between dehumanization, objectification, and violence?
9. How are women being depicted in the Ads?
10. How are men being depicted in the Ads?
11. How is power being depicted in the Ads? Who has the power?
12. Do the Ads contribute to rape culture? How is this conveyed?
13. Do the Ads contribute to sexual stereotypes? How is this conveyed?
14. In what ways might the objectification of men in advertisements be affecting how men feel about their own bodies?
15. In what ways might the objectification of women in advertisements affect womens lives?
16. What overall message about gender and sexuality were conveyed in the Ads?
17. How are gays, lesbians, and bi-sexuals sexuality conveyed in the Ads?
18. Is heteronormativity expressed in the Ads? How is this point of view conveyed?
19. How are the sexual relationships between men and women expressed in the Ads?
20. What do you think the images reflect about our society?
21. Who is benefiting from these ads at whose expense?
Paper Format Instructions:
Please see the attached rubric for evaluation criteria. Paper also needs to include the following:
1. Paper needs to be typed using 12 font (no smaller or larger)
2. Double spaced
3. One inch margins on top, bottom, left, and right
4. Include a title page (your name, date, assignment name)
5. Typed and uploaded as a Microsoft Word document (doc, docx only)–CANNOT be PDF or PAGES (Mac) formats