Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
This assignment addresses the following competencies:
- Competency 1: Apply theoretical perspectives to motives for criminal behavior.
- Competency 2: Analyze the relationship between criminal psychology and criminal law.
- Competency 3: Analyze the relationship between society and criminal behavior.
- Competency 4: Apply scholarly research findings to topics in criminal psychology.
- Competency 5: Explain mental health testing and standards applicable in criminal courts.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a professional manner.
DSM-5 is a standard diagnostic tool for psychiatric disorders. It contains three main sections: “DSM-5 Basics,” “Diagnostic Criteria and Codes,” and “Emerging Measures and Models.” The complete DSM archive (Iâ??IV) plus eight reference books and four psychiatric journals are also available in the Capella library. DSM-5 is used by health professionals, social workers, and forensic and legal specialists to diagnose and classify mental disorders, providing concise and explicit criteria.
The Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY) is a comprehensive guide to over 2,000 testing instruments in the areas of psychology, education, business, and leadership. Entries include publisher, test purpose, price, edited reviews, and purchase information, if available. It also contains additional information on reliability (getting the same results each time), validity (testing appropriate things), norming data, and scoring and reporting services. Foreign language versions of MMY are also available.
The MMY database is best used for exploration of tests and survey instruments. If you are researching tests for a course assignment, such as this one, the MMY is an excellent research tool.
For the assignment, create a 9-12-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of trainee mental health professionals and legal representatives. In your presentation, explain three different measures that might be used to determine an appropriate diagnosis for a juvenile offender. The possible diagnoses are:
- Oppositional defiance.
- Conduct disorder.
You may see overlap in the measures you examine but be sure your rationale addresses why a particular measure supports your choice for the specific disorder.
- Access the DSM-5 and find the criteria for each one of the disorders.
- Access the MMY and find a measure that you would use for each of the disorders.
- Include the following for each measure in your presentation:
- A brief description of the disorder (based on DSM-5 but in your own words).
- A description of the measure (based on the MMY but in your own words). Include primary audience, purpose, how the measure is administered, what it measures, and what its strengths and limitations are.
- A rationale for your choice.
Be sure to use one slide to succinctly deliver each of the three main points. Put your notes or explanatory and expanded information for each of the main points using one of the following options:
- On the following slide. (Do not use the Notes section because Turnitin cannot evaluate this section.) Important: These slides do not count toward the required 9-1212 slides.
- In a separate Word document. Label each set of notes in the Word document with the number and title of the slide to which the notes refer. Important: Be sure to submit this document also to the assignment area.
Be sure you review the Mental Measures for Juvenile Offenders Scoring Guide to ensure that you have met all the criteria for this assignment.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of presentation: 9â??12 slides, not including the title slide, the references slide, or the notes slides.
- References: A minimum of three references.