Informational interviews involve talking with people who are currently working in your field of interest in order to gain a better understanding of an occupation or industry. This is a great way to build relationships with those in the field as well. Through this meeting you will gather “insider” information to be able to make more informed decisions about your career goals.
Using the information provided in the class presentation and through the, set-up and conduct a 30 min. informational interview with someone who is in the career you’ll be focusing on for your Career Paper (a career of interest). This informational interview is part of your Career Paper assignment as well so you’ll be killing two birds with one stone.
Submit the following details in Canvas by 8:00am on May 30:
- Name, title and organization or person interviewed
- Questions you asked the person being interviewed
- 3 takeways or “ah ha” moments from the interview
Career Exploration Paper
Due June 1
Turn in hardcopy to Professor Spaulding at the start of class
- Explore 1 career (not a major) you are interested in
- 3-4 pages in length, not including cover sheet and references (double-spaced, 12 pt. font, 1 inch margins); the paper must be minimum 3 full pages
- APA citations
- Use at least 3 different references (books, magazine articles, periodicals, internet sites, Career Center publications, personal interview with someone in the field, etc.)
- 1 reference must be an interview with someone in that field or a similar field
In the paper I want to know:
- Basic details about the career/job description
- Why you selected this career
- Analyze the career in relation to your 5 strengths
- Can you utilize your strengths in the job regularly?
- Does the career seem to be a good fit for you in relation to your natural strengths?
- At the end, describe your final conclusions
- Big ?ah ha?s!? from your research
- Will you choose to pursue this career based on what you learned? Why or why not?
- What have you learned about yourself?
- What are your next steps from here?
Good papers answer many of the following questions
- What are the steps you would need to take to ?land the job??
- What type of environment is the work done in?
- What interests, abilities, knowledge, and skills are helpful in this occupation?
- How would you be able to use some or all of your 5 strengths?
- What are the specifics of the job (i.e., travel involved, typical work hours per week, etc.)
- What are the opportunities for advancement in this career? What would you need to do to advance?
- What is the employment outlook for this career?
What resources should I use?
- Resources from the Albers Placement Center or Career Services
- The Library
- The Internet
- Advisors, faculty members, parents or other professionals in the field
You will be graded on:
- Correct grammar (be sure to proofread)
- Required resources
- APA citations
I have added the rubric as well
ITS TWO ASSIGNMENTS