Assignment 1 LASA 2 Analyzing a Social Policy
In this course, you have learned that social policies are formulated to solve social problems considered important by a mass of voters, media, and political actors. Social policy is but one solution to the problem—not necessarily the most rational, effective, or socially just. Social policies are human creations and, as such, can be changed. In this paper you will analyze a social policy as a tool for social justice.
Research one social welfare policy using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
Analyze the policy and address the following:
The social problem addressed by the policy
1. What is/are the problem/s to be solved in the most fundamental terms?
2. What is the history of the problem/s in the United States?
3. What are the various theories about the causes of the problem/s? Based on this, what do you think is/are the most important causes/s of the problem/s?
The policy objectives, value premises, expectation, and target populations
1. Policy objectives—overt and covert objectives: What are the stated objectives of the policy? In your judgment, what are the covert objectives of the policy?
2. What are the values underlying the policy objectives? What values are revealed by the overt and covert objectives?
3. What did the policymakers expect would be the result of the policy?
4. Target segments of the population at whom policy is aimed: Discuss the direct target of the policy in terms of size and other demographic characteristics. Who are the indirect targets of the policy?