An ideal post would be two solid paragraphs (that includes a thesis statement, a body of supporting evidence, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points). The post should be well constructed and free of grammatical errors, and be between 250 and 300 words. You do not need to undertake outside research in order to answer the question; although you may, if you like. It is a wise strategy to create your response as a Word document (that way, you have a copy for yourself). You must cite your sources both in your response and below it (Bibliography), using the Chicago Style citation format. Students who do not cite their work can expect to receive only a minimum grade of 60% for this assignment. It is expected that our textbook by Shi and Tindall will be a source and should likewise be accessed and cited.
Choose one (1) question.
1. What caused the outbreak of the Great War, and why was the United States drawn into it? What was distinctive about the fighting on the Western Front?
2. How did President Wilson’s administration mobilize the home front? How did these mobilization efforts affect American society?
3. How did Wilson promote his plans for a peaceful world order as outlined in his Fourteen Points?
4. Assess the consumer culture that emerged in America in the 1920s. What are the factors that contributed to its growth?
5. What were the other major new social and cultural trends and movements that became prominent during the twenties? How did they challenge traditional standards and customs?
6. What does “modernism” mean in intellectual and artistic terms? How did the modernist movements influence American culture in the early twentieth century?